Link America's Test Kitchen link is to the recipe posted on another site, because the real site has a paywall.
- 2 tb Chinese cooking wine
- 1.5 tb soy sauce
- 1 tb corn starch
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 lb of some cut of beef (I used sirloin the last time I made this), cut in very thin pieces
- 1 lb broccoli crowns, cut in large bite size pieces
- 1 mediium sized onion
- 1 medium sized bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or water
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- About 1 inch ginger, minced or grated
- Peanut oil or canola oil for cooking
- 2 tb oyster sauce
- 2.5 tb soy sauce
- 1.5 tb corn starch
- 1/4 c water
- 1 tb brown sugar
- 1 tb ground black pepper
Mix together all the marinade ingredients.
Toss the sliced beef in the marinade, and set sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
Combine all sauce ingredients.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok or heavy skillet until shimmering over medium high heat. Add beef and spread out as much as possible. Cook without moving the beef for one minute. Stir and cook until beef just loses its pink color (1-2 minutes more). Remove beef to a large, clean bowl.
Add 1 tablespoon oil to wok and heat again until shimmering. Add in brocoli, bell pepper, and onion. Toss until broccoli just starts to brown. Add in chicken stock or water, cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove vegetables (and any liquid) to bowl with beef.
Reduce heat to medium low and add 1 tablespoon oil to wok. Add in garlic and ginger and slowly cook until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Add back beef and vegetables and toss. Pour sauce over everything, and toss until everything is evenly combined.